The Madeline Island Ski Team will be skiing next Saturday, February 20th. We will meet at the library parking lot at 9:30 a.m. to figure out carpooling. Call the library to let us know if you will be joining us. 715-747-3662
Opera at the Library...
1. La Boheme (Puccini) The Met Production with Jose Carreras, Teresa Stratus and Renata Scotto. The date: November 18th at 7:00PM at the Madeline Island Public Library.
2. Carmen (Bizet) The role of Carmen is sung by Elina Garanca and Don Jose is sung by Roberto Alagna. A Met Production. The date: December 2nd at 7:00 PM at the Madeline Island Public Library.
3. Don Pasquale (Donizetti) This is a comic opera with Anna Netrebko and Matthew Polenzani. The date: December 16th at 7:00 PM at the Madeline Island Public Library.
4. The Barber of Seville ( Rossini) Comic Opera with Joyce DiDonato and Juan Diego Florez. January 13th at 7:00 PM at the Madeline Island Public Library.
5. L’Elisir d’Amore (Donizetti) The Met Opera with Pavarotti and Kathlene Battle. January 27th at 7:00 PM at the Madeline Island Public Library.
6. Les Miserables Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe and Anne Hathway. February 10th at 7:00 PM at the Madeline Island Public Library.
Operas 1-5 are Metropolitan Opera Productions. We think that this will be an exciting night out and hope you can join us.
Click the link below to a short video about the importance of reading to your children...
This is a great link for finding just the right
children's book for young readers...
The book for the Madeline Island Literary Society for the month of November is
Copies are available at the library.
Everyone is welcome...
Read On Wisconsin
Read On Wisconsin (ROW) is a state-wide literacy program, administered by the Cooperative Children’s Book Center, that promotes high-quality books for children and teens. Each month features one or more Read On Wisconsin titles for children and teens in five different age-level groups.
ROW is a great way to connect children and teens in the state with terrific books and with each other. The goal of ROW is to encourage children and teens to think and to talk about what they are reading, or what is being read to them. We hope you’ll choose these books as read-alouds or book discussion selections, feature them in displays, or highlight them in other ways as you connect Wisconsin children and teens with books in your library or classroom.
The CCBC’s partners for Read On Wisconsin include the Division of Media, Educational Resources and Information Technology (MERIT) of the School of Education at the UW-Madison; the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction’s Division for Libraries and Technology; and TeachingBooks.net. The Youth Services Section of the Wisconsin Library Association is a Read On Wisconsin sponsor.
A to Z World Travel
We have purchased a subscription to a database that anyone can access from the library or at home. It's called A to Z World Travel. You can look up all kinds of information about countries and cities around the world for school reports or if you are planning a trip to some exotic location and you want to know what to expect when you get there. Just click on the link below and type in the username and password and you're on our way. After you've tried it send an email to the library to let us know if it was helpful or not. We are trying it out for a year to see if his is a worthwhile program so your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Knitting nights at the library has been changed back to every Monday at 4:30 p.m. Bring in a project you're working on or come willing to learn new techniques.
Click here to find out more about the
- American Heart Month
- International Boost Self-Esteem Month
- International Expect Success Month
- Library Lovers Month
- National Bird Feeding Month
- National Black History Month
- National Haiku Writing Month
- National Hot Breakfast Month
- National Laugh-Friendly Month
- National Mend A Broken Heart Month
- National Women Inventors Month
- Plant the Seeds of Greatness Month
- Relationship Wellness Month
- Responsible Pet Owner's Month
- National Time Management Month
- Rising Star Month
- Grapefruit Month
To know more about what happened this month in history click on this image......
February 1 - Langston Hughes (1902 - 1967)
February 2 - Ayn Rand (1905 - 1982)
February 3 - James A. Michener (1907 - 1997)
February 4 - MacKinlay Kantor (1904 - 1977)
February 7 - Sinclair Lewis (1885 - 1951)
February 7 - Charles Dickens (1812 - 1870)
February 7 - Laura Ingalls Wilder (1867 - 1957)
February 8 - Jules Verne (1828 - 1905)
February 9 - J. M. Coetzee (1940 - )
February 9 - Alice Walker (1944 - )
February 16 - Richard Ford (1944- )
February 18 - Toni Morrison (1931 - )
February 18 - Wallace Stegner (1909 - 1993)
February 19 - Giorgos Seferis (1900 - 1971)
February 21 - Ha Jin (1956 - )
February 21 - Anais Nin (1903 - 1977)
February 22 - Morley Callaghan (1903 - 1990)
February 24 - Wilhelm Grimm (1786 - 1859)
February 26 - Victor Hugo (1802 - 1885)
February 27 - John Steinbeck (1902 - 1968)
February 27 - N. Scott Momaday (1934 - )
February 27 - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807 - 1882)